Safeguarding Disabled Children with a focus on Children with Autism
Date & Time:
Venue:Thameside Centre, Langley Road Staines TW18 2AY Sat Nav postcode: TW18 2EH
Please note: There are two different versions of this course, one being generic and one having a focus on Autism. Please can you ensure that you choose the most appropriate session (Generic or Autism Focused) as much of the materials and principles are similar and you will not be a good use of time to attend both. Thanks.
Pre-requisite: Participants must have completed
- ‘Working Together to Safeguarding Children’ Induction Training or have completed an approved alternative course.
Target Group: The course is aimed at practitioners and managers in voluntary, independent and statutory agencies who work with children and young people on the autistic spectrum (ASD), and/or their parents/carers in either inclusive settings or specialist provision.
Course Aim: To increase awareness of the particular vulnerabilities of this group of children and to provide participants with an opportunity to explore ways in which we can effectively safeguard them from harm.
By the end of the course participants will have:
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of relevant legislation, guidance and research and their application in effectively safeguarding and meeting the needs of disabled children as well as review the messages from relevant Serious Case Reviews.
- Understand the importance of the social model of disability when working with families and children with disabilites.
- Explore the concept of “created vulnerability” and describe the particular circumstances which make disabled children and young people vulnerable to abuse.
- Consider the potential confusion of signs and indicators of abuse in children with ASD.
- Explain the factors which may influence the threshold for intervention for disabled children.
- Ensure that interventions remain focused on the best interests of the child whilst working in complex situations where there are many competing demands and priorities.
- Identify factors that promote self-esteem and resilience.
To use this booking system, you will first need to create a user account and once you have done this, you will be able to manage your own bookings, access course evaluations, certificates and access your training history.
Please note: individuals must create their own account. There is no facility for one person to create an account in their name and book places for numerous numbers of staff. If you are booking on behalf of another member of staff you need to register in their name rather than your own.
Booking has now closed for this event.
Venue Details:Thameside Centre, Langley Road Staines TW18 2AY Sat Nav postcode: TW18 2EH
By Car: Approach from Laleham Road and turn left onto Langley Road to get to the venue.
By Train: Follow links to go to the nearest train station which is the Staines Rail Station, this is in walkable distance from the venue.
There are limited parking spaces at the site, which are available on a first come, first served basis. Two of these spaces are clearly marked as disabled parking spaces
There are two postcodes for the venue, the actual venue site postcode is TW18 2AY, the sat nav postcode is TW18 2EH.