Safeguarding Disabled Children with a focus on Children with Autism
Date & Time:
Venue:Quadrant Court, 35 Guildford Road Woking Surrey GU22 7QQ
Please note: There are two different versions of this course, one being generic and one having a focus on Autism. Please can you ensure that you choose the most appropriate session (Generic or Autism Focused) as much of the materials and principles are similar and you will not be a good use of time to attend both. Thanks.
Pre-requisite: Participants must have completed
- ‘Working Together to Safeguarding Children’ Induction Training or have completed an approved alternative course.
Target Group: The course is aimed at practitioners and managers in voluntary, independent and statutory agencies who work with children and young people on the autistic spectrum (ASD), and/or their parents/carers in either inclusive settings or specialist provision.
Course Aim: To increase awareness of the particular vulnerabilities of this group of children and to provide participants with an opportunity to explore ways in which we can effectively safeguard them from harm.
By the end of the course participants will have:
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of relevant legislation, guidance and research and their application in effectively safeguarding and meeting the needs of disabled children as well as review the messages from relevant Serious Case Reviews.
- Understand the importance of the social model of disability when working with families and children with disabilites.
- Explore the concept of “created vulnerability” and describe the particular circumstances which make disabled children and young people vulnerable to abuse.
- Consider the potential confusion of signs and indicators of abuse in children with ASD.
- Explain the factors which may influence the threshold for intervention for disabled children.
- Ensure that interventions remain focused on the best interests of the child whilst working in complex situations where there are many competing demands and priorities.
- Identify factors that promote self-esteem and resilience.
To use this booking system, you will first need to create a user account and once you have done this, you will be able to manage your own bookings, access course evaluations, certificates and access your training history.
Please note: individuals must create their own account. There is no facility for one person to create an account in their name and book places for numerous numbers of staff. If you are booking on behalf of another member of staff you need to register in their name rather than your own.
Trainer:Jane Donson/Kate Ball
Venue Details:Quadrant Court, 35 Guildford Road Woking Surrey GU22 7QQ
Please sign in at the reception and the trainer will come and collect you.
By Train: Woking station is seven minutes walk away and has a frequent and fast services across Surrey and SW London, including Guildford, Farnham, Haslemere and Surbiton. It is 30 mins from London Waterloo
It is a 7 minute walk from Woking station to Quadrant Court.
• Exit the station from Platform 5 (not town centre side).
• Turn right along Station Approach.
• Cross over at pedestrian crossing to Magistrate’s Court.
• Pass Magistrate’s Court and Police Station on your left.
• Cross Heathside Rd
• Cross over Guildford Rd (main road) to Quadrant Court on the opposite side.
34, 35, 71, 81, 436, 463 and 548 buses all stop within two minutes
walk of Quadrant Court.
From London/ M25:
• Take A3 (J10, M25) towards Guildford
• Exit A3 at Ripley. Follow signs to Woking along A247
• Join A320 (Guildford Rd)
• Turn left into Mount Hermon Rd
• Turn right into Montgomery Way
• Quadrant Court car park entrance is on the right
Please Note: There is no parking at Quadrant Court for delegates. You may be fined up to £150 if you park at Quadrant Court car park without a valid permit. However, if you hold a Blue Badge you are able to park at Quadrant Court. On arrival at car park located at rear of buildging, please buzz in at the barriers and request a disabled parking permit.
The nearest off site pay and display car parks are Woking Park and Heathside on Heathside Crescent (Satellite navigation users should enter the postcode GU22 7AG).
Teas and coffees are provided through the day. There is a cafe onsite but it
does not accept card payments.