Understanding and Working with Children and Young People Affected by Sexual Abuse
Date & Time:
Venue:Thameside Centre, Langley Road Staines TW18 2EH
Pre-requisites: Participants must have completed
- ‘Working Together to Safeguarding Children’ Induction Training or have completed an approved alternative course.
- It is advised that participants have also completed SSCB Safeguarding Foundation Module 1 and Foundation Module 2 however this is not compulsory.
Target Group: The course is aimed at practitioners and managers in voluntary, independent and statutory agencies who work predominantly with children, young people and/or their parents/carers and who could contribute to assessing, planning, intervening and evaluating the needs of a child and parenting capacity where there are safeguarding concerns.
Aim: To provide an opportunity to develop an understanding of working with children affected by sexual abuse
Learning Outcome: By the end of the course participants will have
- Considered definitions and prevalence of sexual abuse. And to develop an understanding of the effects of sexual abuse and the resultant signs, symptoms and behaviours associated with it.
- Developed an understanding about why children and young people find it difficult or impossible to disclose about the abuse.
- Considered theory about how abusers operate and dynamics of power imbalance.
- Explored the impact of diversity including gender, culture, disability and sexuality.
- Explored the systemic impact of sexual abuse and disclosure on families and the child’s wider network.
- Considered how to work sensitively and effectively with children, young people and their families who have been affected by sexual abuse.
- Explored therapeutic techniques used in helping children and young people recover from experiences of sexual abuse.
- Considered the impact of this work on professionals.
To use this booking system, you will first need to create a user account and once you have done this, you will be able to manage your own bookings, access course evaluations, certificates and access your training history.
Please note: individuals must create their own account. There is no facility for one person to create an account in their name and book places for numerous numbers of staff. If you are booking on behalf of another member of staff you need to register in their name rather than your own.
Venue Details:Thameside Centre, Langley Road Staines TW18 2EH
By Car: Approach from Laleham Road and turn left onto Langley Road to get to the venue.
By Train: Follow links to go to the nearest train station which is the Staines Rail Station, this is in walkable distance from the venue.
There are limited parking spaces at the site, which are available on a first come, first served basis. Two of these spaces are clearly marked as disabled parking spaces